Beach School continues to evolve year-on-year...
With our current format, Year 4 pupils have a series of 6-8 surf lessons supported by Perranporth Surf School. The sea is a fantastic resource on our door step and we are passionate about teaching children to respect and enjoy it. Using IGLU wetsuits and boards supplied by Piran Surf we run beach school with no costs to parents.
Alongside surf lessons, we also use the beach to teach children:
- hands-on science through rock-pooling, identifying and classifying different species,
- geography field work skills, exploring coasts and erosion
- first aid, including CPR and choking
- beach safety (supported by members of Perranporth Surf Lifesaving Club)
- sustainability, through beach cleans and working with Surfers Against Sewage.
- PE - through surf lessons and beach games
Goonhavern School is one of twenty-five schools in the country to be awarded a 'Beach Clean Box' from Surfers Against Sewage and we put it to good use completing many beach cleans each year.
'This is the BEST day of my life!' Sam, pupil
The whole community comes together to make Beach School a success and we would like to thank:
- Mark Thorn, Lucy Rimmer and all of the staff at Pirran Surf for allowing us to use their equipment and helping to get it to the beach;
- Michelle Sanwell for supporting and encouraging all of the children in the water;
- The Surf Living Saving Club for allowing us to use the club changing rooms and facilities;
- Lizzi and her team from SAS for supporting us with the beach cleans;
- Perranporth Surf School;
- All of the parents who came to support us on the beach.
Photos taken by Remy Whiting