Parents as Partners
At Goonhavern Primary School Nursery we recognise that parents and the wider family are essential for effective learning to take place. We are always looking for ways to keep parents informed about and involve parents in their child’s education.
We recognise parents/carers as the first and most important educators of their children. We aim to support parents/carers and encourage them to:
- Be involved in their child's development records by exchanging knowledge about their children's needs, interests and progress with pre-school staff.
- Share their expertise in certain areas with the children during sessions.
- Upload photos and videos of their child's interests to tapestry.
- Share their own special interests with the children.
- Help to provide, make and look after the equipment and materials used in the children's play activities.
- Get involved when we organise fundraising activities.
- Attend parent/carer support sessions and group events that we hold during the year.
- Build friendships with other parents/carers in the setting.
As a parent, how can I help with my child’s learning?
All the fun activities that you do with your child at home are important in supporting their learning and development, and have a really long-lasting effect on your child’s learning as they progress through school.
Even when your child is very young and is not yet able to talk, talking to them helps them to learn and understand new words and ideas. If you make the time every day to do some of the following things with your child it will make a real difference to your child’s confidence as a young learner.
- Sing songs and rhymes
- Read stories
- Talk out load about what you are doing
- Speak clearly and calmly
- Use age appropriate language
- Play role-play and pretending games
We have a range of resources that families and carers are welcome to borrow to support learning at home. Pop in and speak to one of the team if you would like to find out more.